Reader Q: What does Royal Assent mean for us?
As you probably know by now, the Protecting Condominium Owners Act, 2015 (Bill 106) received Royal Assent on December 3rd, 2015. I have had a couple of people ask me what this means for the industry. I won't go into too much detail on the process, but there are multiple stages that a bill must go through before it becomes law. The general process is:
- First Reading - the purpose of the bill is explained.
- Second Reading - the bill is debated.
- Review by Committee - public hearings may be held and amendments considered.
- Report to House - committee reports bill with any amendments.
- Third Reading - the bill is voted on.
- Royal Assent (if approved) - the Lieutenant Governor signs the bill and it becomes law.